Five Essential Oils to Keep on Hand for Virtually Any Issue
Last week we talked about biotech- a form of biohacking. Biohacking is simply “hacking” your body to enhance its performance.
Think about exercising. You need to eat enough macro-nutrients (proteins, carbohydrates, and fats) for your body to be able to perform well during exercise. If the energy supply isn’t there, you won’t perform well.
When we understand the way our bodies and brains function and what they need to function optimally, we can utilize various methods to maximize our efforts and get better results.
Today, we’re going to take a quick look at another method of biohacking: essential oils.
Essential oils have been used for a myriad of purposes dating back to ancient times. While some people believe this is “woo woo”; there are actually heaps of science to back the claims as well as individual reports and case studies to reconfirm.
We’re not here to discuss the validity of the benefits of essential oils, though.
I simply want to share my top 5 oils to keep on hand for everything from health and wellness to keeping the house clean and the bugs away =D
- Skin: its antioxidant properties fight free radicals that can damage skin cells; it reduces the appearance of cellulite; and, is also astringent (pore minimizing) and cleansing.
- Hair: promotes hair growth and scalp health.
- Wellness: can help prevent cold, flu, and cough; and, combats virus and bacteria. Anti-inflammatory properties help relieve pain and arthritis. It can also be used to improve circulation and aid digestion.
- Brain Health: improves cognitive function (such as memory and concentration), lifts mood, and relieves stress.
- Spirit: helps to balance the solar plexus and third eye chakras.
- Home: freshens air and is a disinfectant: antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiseptic.
- Bugs: repels flies, lice, and ticks.
2. Tea Tree
- Skin: can be used as a spot treatment and natural deodorant. It prevents and treats acne and kills bacteria and fungus. Tea tree oil also treats eczema, psoriasis, and other itchy rashes such as poison ivy.
- Hair: Treats and prevents lice; encourages hair growth, and combats dandruff (a fungus).
- Teeth: Promotes oral health.
- Wellness: fights cold and virus; helps heal a sore throat; fights infection of open wounds and speeds healing; boosts immune system, aids in digestion, improves respiratory function, eases soreness and promotes joint health.
- Spirit: helps to balance the throat chakra.
- Home: natural cleaner, deodorizer, mold fighter, and disinfectant: antibacterial, antiviral, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiseptic.
- Bugs: repels ants, bed bugs, flies, lice, and ticks.
- Skin: improves texture of oily skin, treats and prevents acne, brightens, tones, moisturizes, and cleanses the skin.
- Hair: promotes hair growth and treats dandruff.
- Teeth: makes breath fresh and promotes oral health.
- Wellness: aids in digestion, fights fever, clears upper-respiratory, relieves sinus pressure, eases muscular and joint pain, boosts immune system, treats nausea and UTI, increases circulation, curbs appetite, calms rashes, itchy skin, and sunburn, enhances exercise performance, kills nail fungus, helps with motion sickness, and aids in the prevention of cancer.
- Brain Health: eases headaches, is energizing, promotes alertness, mental clarity, and focus.
- Spirit- helps to balance the solar plexus and throat chakras.
- Home: freshens air and is a disinfectant: antibacterial, antiviral, antimicrobial.
- Bugs: repels ants, bed bugs, beetles, cockroaches, flies, spiders, lice, stink bugs, boxelder bugs, wasps, mosquitoes, fleas, and moths.
- Skin: is anti-aging and works to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Hair: Promotes hair growth and scalp health.
- Wellness: Stimulates circulation, prevents infection, fights virus and bacteria, and soothes sore muscles.
- Brain Health: calming effects for the mind and body relieve stress and anxiety. It promotes restful sleep and eases headaches. Lavender essential oil also improves brain function, focus, and mood.
- Spirit- helps to balance the crown, third eye, throat, heart, and solar plexus chakras.
- Home: freshens air and is a disinfectant: antibacterial, antiviral, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiseptic.
- Bugs: repels bed bugs, flies, spiders, lice, mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, and moths.
- Skin: astringent properties tighten the pores and balance oil production as well as reduce acne. It also brightens the skin’s complexion and reduces wrinkles.
- Hair: adds shine to locks and smooths dry hair.
- Teeth: whitens teeth.
- Wellness: is an anti-inflammatory, boosts the immune system, fights cold, and increases circulation.
- Brain Health: is both relaxing and invigorating, promoting happy energy. It helps treat depression, decreases anxiety and nervousness, and improves focus.
- Spirit: it helps to balance the solar plexus, sacral, heart, and root chakras (Wild Orange for the root).
- Home: freshens air, eliminates drain odors, and is a disinfectant: antiviral, antiseptic, antifungal.
- Bugs: repels beetles, cockroaches, spiders, lice, mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, and moths.
There you have it! My top 5 essential oils to keep on hand. To avail of these benefits, add a few drops to your skincare or hair care products or use in an oil diffuser.
Be sure when applying to the skin or ingesting, you research the appropriate methods for diluting and “dosage”.
There are so many ways to use essential oils to improve your overall health and wellbeing.
Drop a comment below and share your favorite blends and ways to use essential oils!